Thursday, December 18, 2008

96 Hours... Off the Vent!!

As of Monday, December 15 at 8:30 am, Mom has been off the ventilator! YAY!!

On Monday December 15, I spoke to Mom's Repseratory Tech (named Christopher, how appropriate). He said she was doing well, and they took her off the ventilator at about 8:30 that morning. He also said that he had spoken with the doctor that morning and they were going to keep mom off the machine not only all day, but all night too, for as long as she could handle.

On Tuesday December 15, at 7:30 in the morning, my cell phone rang... and my heart fell. They never call. And they never call that early. The nurse, said "Your mom is stable now"... (Oh crap, when wasn't she stable?) "so we moved her to room 111." My brain said "Huh? OH, ok, you mean for the last 3 weeks she wasn't always stable so she was in ICU, but now she has been stable for a while and so you can move her... OK, I get it. Don't do that again!" I said, THANKS! The nurse also told me she was now off the machine for 24 hours! YAY!

Wednesday and Thursday continued the trend. As of Friday morning, she is still off the machine! She is awake-ish. She still does not know where she is, but I am still being told this is normal. In general, she has her eyes closd, but this is not due to sedation, and when people walk in, she opens her eyes. She is not always as cooperative when nurses and doctors ask her questions.

So keep sending your good thoughts and prayers! They are working!

Postnote - the picture is from our trip to Hoonah, Alaska. I figured since mom is being precocious, this was a good picture!

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Hooray!! This is great news!

Now, if you think she's ever going to be cooperative with the doctors and nurses, I think you have another thing coming...